TGPForums.com

• December 10, 2018, 10:34:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: ABS = PITA  (Read 1695 times)

R Dubya

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
ABS = PITA
« on: June 04, 2003, 08:04:55 AM »

I replaced my accumulator yesterday.  I didn't have a blinking ABS light for about 15 miles and then it started.  The accumulator was a bitch to get out, but finally got it and swapped it with the one I bought from Prior.  Do I need to reset the computer to clear it of codes?  One thing I noticed is that it the pump STILL runs every time I hit the pedal, and also my filler cap is borken in the corner, would that set off a error code?  Could it be losing pressure that way?  Any input is greatly appreciated.  I am dead set on getting the f***ing light to stop blinking.   :shock:   Also - to anyone who has used the Prior accumulator, what is the best way to get it to seat correctly, its real hard to get it in position in the first place, I'm thinking that it isn't seated all the way in, that might be a problem also.  Should I have reset the computer by disconnecting the battery?
Ryan Warren
'89 TGP
It doesn't run anymore.

Chris A

• Boosted
ABS = PITA
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 07:27:59 PM »

No, with the abs the computer does not need resetting. I'm not sure about the prior accumulator. Its kinda sucks because it doesn't have the nut on the end. But if its screwed in all the  way it should be fine, if it wasn't the 2000 psi of brake fluid behind it would leak out somehow.

Your situation is one of the terrible paradoxes of the powermaster, is it the pressure switch or the accumulator? Typically the accumulator will die on these, but as you see, you've replaced it and the motor still runs. Without some specialized guages to see where the pump is going on and off, its a parts throw to fix it. The next step would be to swap the pressure switch. Its kinda a pain to get to because it needs quite a large socket to get to it but it can be done.

Chris

no1kicker

• Boosted
    • http://www.geocities.com/no1kicker
ABS = PITA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 12:12:51 AM »

I have the same problem.  Just replaced the accumulator, and light still blinks.  Pump would not run for a day or two, and mysteriously started and has run fine since.  Still runs every time I hit the brake though.  I guess the pressure switch is next.

former owner of a 1990 Grand Prix STE Turbo

R Dubya

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
ABS = PITA
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 08:49:24 AM »

It's strange.  I don't quite understand it.  I took the car for at least a 30 mile cruise last night, a lot of it was downhill, and the light did not come on at all.  I did snap the filler cover when I was bleeding it the other day, would that cause a problem with fluid and pressure?  It's just in the corner and it seems to be sealing right, just one of the clips is gone.  I will try to set that acc. in there a little farther with a oil filter wrench, we'll see how much more she goes.  Thanks for the input.  Oh and BTW - I am getting 3 steady pedal presses before the pump runs when I sit in the driveway, but it's hard to tell when it's running.  One more thing -  I just changed the front struts, I bought them from Carl, and I don't know about the ABS sensors in the strut tower.  Think I should try swapping my old ones in to replace the ones that came?
Ryan Warren
'89 TGP
It doesn't run anymore.

Chris A

• Boosted
ABS = PITA
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 06:24:41 AM »

Uh, the abs sensors? Did you change the whole strut assy or something? Because typcially just the cartridges should change and you wouldn't have to bother with the abs sensors.

R Dubya

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
ABS = PITA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 02:08:05 PM »

I bought the front and rear KYB's from Carl's TGP.  The front cartridges were loaded in his strut assembly and I didn't change the sensors, just swapped the springs and boots.  The light hasn't blinked in a few days, but that doesn't mean it won't again.  I'm confused.
Ryan Warren
'89 TGP
It doesn't run anymore.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.