TGPForums.com

• September 19, 2019, 04:31:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: OHM my fuel injectors  (Read 9488 times)

TGPilot

OHM my fuel injectors
« on: May 09, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »

So I am going to skip the disclaimer because you are working with fuel and possible electrical arcing...use your head for something other than a brain matter container! ;)

OK the pictures attached will show you what I am talking about.

1). Remove your upper intake plenum and set it aside.
2). The first picture shows the fuel injector power connector and retaining clip (shiny metal wire behind screwdriver blade). You should be able to use your thumb or finger to PUSH IN the retainer clip...DO NOT TRY TO PRY IT AWAY FROM THE CONNECTOR...it goes in towards the body of the injector.
3). While pushing in you need to gently rock the connector from side to side and pull at the same time to release it from the fuel injector.
4). Now you see the second picture. This is the two power terminals that power and fire the fuel injector. This is what we want to know the resistance of.
5). Take a digital volt meter and touch one lead (red) to one terminal, then take the other lead (black) and touch it to the other terminal. DO NOT LET YOUR FINGER BRIDGE THE GAP OR LET THE TWO LEADS TOUCH TOGETHER! You will read much less resistance if they cross/touch each other and if you are touching both of the test leads with your fingers you will read your bodies resistance...not the injector!

If each test lead is touching only one terminal at a time and your fingers are on the handles of the leads...you will read the resistance of the injector. A good resistance will be between 12.0 - 12.6 ohms. Not Kohms...not Mohms....just 0-100 ohm setting on your DVM if it is not an auto selecting unit.

If you are higher then there is a problem with your contact with the leads.

If it is 11.9 then it is borderline and should be replaced.

If it is less than 11.8 ohms then it is bad!

Most of the time I see "dead" injectors with 4 - 6 ohms of resistance. That is a near shorted winding and definitely causing driveability problems.

Hope this helps!
-Kenny :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:24:42 PM by TGPilot »

pontiac6ksteawd

• Boosted
Re: OHM my fuel injectors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:22:35 AM »

Most of the time I see "dead" injectors with 4 - 6 ohms of resistance. That is a near shorted winding and definitely causing driveability problems.

Most definetly causing driving problems. Going from almost not being driveable with the old stock injectors, to almost a perfect running vehicle with my new L36 injectors.
Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history..
01 Pontiac Aztek GT 123k - 04 GMC Envoy XUV SLT V8 99k - 05 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 52k

sleeperred90tgp

• !! FASTEST TGP AWARD !!
  • Boosted
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:39:35 PM »

Kenny add to your good write up about testing each banck just in front of the computer. Does save some time if there are no errors. Saves taking anything apart except the the inner fender cover.

Jud

edited by me to reduce the amount of scroll down... ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:20:38 PM by TGPilot »
Quickest TGP on this planet.

:cheers:FASTEST TGP AWARD given By TGPforums!:cheers:

Congratulations JUD! Keep an eye on your rear-view mirror for TGPilot

TGPilot

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:19:45 PM »

Jud,

If you have done it you are more than welcome to write that in here. I have not done it that way because I like to know exactly what the injectors are reading.

-Kenny

sleeperred90tgp

• Boosted
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »

Kenny I posted it somewhere I'll see if I can find it. If you have the correct reading 36-39 (3 injectors) ohms (as I remember) then you know its not the injectors. If the reading is off high or low than you have to go to the individual injectors and also check the harnesses for resistance. It's just a quick check to avoid pulling the manifold.

Jud

TGPilot

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »

Yup I agree. I just like to spend the extra time personally to see what each is doing. Problem is even a perfect 12.2 ohm injector can still be leaking like a two dollar hooker during marty gras. ;)

intern8tion9l

• TGP Driver
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »

ok well i just got a set of 3800 injectors for my pos. i ohm tested them today...i have 10 alltogether. my readings are coming out 11.5-11.8. based on reading am i to assume that every single injector i got is bad?
1989 International Series 5spd Turbo

sleeperred90tgp

• Boosted
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »

ok well i just got a set of 3800 injectors for my pos. i ohm tested them today...i have 10 alltogether. my readings are coming out 11.5-11.8. based on reading am i to assume that every single injector i got is bad?

No not to worry.  ;)The range for high impedance injectors is like 10-14 ohms. Depends who made them and when they made them. Another clue is that there all within .3 ohms.

Make sure when you touch your tester leads together before you test the injectors and that it reads 00.0.

Jud

intern8tion9l

• TGP Driver
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »

thanks for the info, i was reading how less than 11.8 was pretty much junk, but i guess that pertains more to the stock ones. i was looking at the meter and starting to get quite pissed off
1989 International Series 5spd Turbo

dbtk2

• Boosted
    • http://www.geocities.com/dbtk02
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 10:35:54 PM »

thanks for the info, i was reading how less than 11.8 was pretty much junk, but i guess that pertains more to the stock ones. i was looking at the meter and starting to get quite pissed off

lol....yeah for L36 injectors you should be fine.
90 Maroon GP STE 3.1 I/C Turbo - SOLD!  :(
14.695 @ 94.49 w/2.228 60'
99 Green GP GT
9.75:1|K&N|160 tstat|no cat/ubend/res|ALT UD|Shift Kit|XPZ cam|Ported M90/TB/LIM/Heads|Powertuned|Pacesetters|42lb/hr|Stg 2 I/C|MPS|2.45"|ELEC WP|Zex 75/100/125|Walbro|ZZP IS|15/16"|AR103|Rollmaster|8 rib|MLS .052|ARP Head Studs|Billet FP|Alum Cradle
11.9912 @ 112.99 w/1.729 60', 347whp/417wtq on 93 octane/mustang dyno.

POPEYEZTGP

• Spooling
  • she's not perfect but she's mine
    • http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1256544788
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »

Kenny add to your good write up about testing each banck just in front of the computer. Does save some time if there are no errors. Saves taking anything apart except the the inner fender cover.

Jud

edited by me to reduce the amount of scroll down... ;)

i know this is an old post but with the obd1 system coerrect me if i am wrong the computer won't read bad injectors right ?
1990 BLACK AND GOLD,WITH TAN INT. GRAND PRIX TGP MCLAREN , BOUGHT 3/26/09

pontiac6ksteawd

• Boosted
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »

Its not the computer on a OBD1 car. Its the fact that when one injector goes bad, its causes a short, which takes all 3 of the injectors on that bank out of service
Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history..
01 Pontiac Aztek GT 123k - 04 GMC Envoy XUV SLT V8 99k - 05 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 52k

POPEYEZTGP

• Spooling
  • she's not perfect but she's mine
    • http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1256544788
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »

Its not the computer on a OBD1 car. Its the fact that when one injector goes bad, its causes a short, which takes all 3 of the injectors on that bank out of service
ahhhhhh ok gotcha thanks,, yea that happened to me once before
1990 BLACK AND GOLD,WITH TAN INT. GRAND PRIX TGP MCLAREN , BOUGHT 3/26/09

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.