TGPForums.com

• May 25, 2019, 12:04:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ABS wiring  (Read 3892 times)

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
  • ----1989 Grand Prix Turbo----
ABS wiring
« on: November 04, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »

OK. Here's the deal. My front drivers ABS wiring to the wheel sensor is MIA. I don't know what, where or why but it is missing. Looked under the passenger seat and the wiring is there but somewhere on it's trip to the sensor it gets lost!! Does anyone know the path it takes to get to the wheel. I have the dash apart and do not see where the wiring goes through the firewall. I was hoping that maybe the wire got cut or something so the previous owner / mechanic just shoved it through the grommett to hide it. Thought I could just look under the dash and splice it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

David
David C.

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
Re: ABS wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »

I'm looking at page 8A-201-14 in the manual. Does this show the ABS sensor wire? Or is that the E-brake wire? I also read that you should replace the entire assembly. No splices allowed. Not quite sure the best way to do this. I know that first I need to find the break as well as how to route the cable. It doesn't appear to go into the engine compartment at all. Looked under the dash pad. Pulled out the rug, e-brake assembly and sounddamping. Maybe access through wheelwell? Gonna poke away at this again tommorrow.

David
David C.

mfewtrail

• Administrator
  • Boosted
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 12:22:02 AM »

David, the wheel speed sensor harnesses passes through the grommet visible in the fenderwell and goes through the back of the strut tower. The harness then runs into the engine bay right at the firewall and joins the main ABS harness just to the right of the master cylinder(if you're facing the engine). If I'm remembering correctly, that harness is tucked behind there pretty good...hopefully, your wiring is just stuffed right past the grommet and is sitting near the master cylinder/strut tower area.

PS: Check out page 10-11-18 and 10-11-19 in the manual. The harness/wire routing is shown there. ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:22:51 AM by mfewtrail »
'93 SE, '90 Black/tan TGP, & '90 Red/tan TGP

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:16:54 AM »

mfewtrail. I do not have those pages in my manual. Maybe because you have a 90? It doesn't look like any pages have been ripped out. Is this something you could scan and post? It's just what I was looking for! Any type of pic or anything would be priceless. Thanks so much!

David
David C.

mfewtrail

• Administrator
  • Boosted
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:19:45 PM »

Here ya' go. ;)

There's also another wire routing view that goes all the way into the car, let me know if you need it too.

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »

Matt. Thanks so much for those drawings. It really was exactly what I was looking for. My 89 manual doesn't have them.
It's been raining and I haven't had the time to check it out yet. From memory though I don't recall seeing those cables in the engine compartment.
How bad can this job possibly get? Figured Id' just pick a good splicing point and then go to the junkyard. Should be no problem getting one.
Someplaces say you can't splice it but I am not worried about that.
Matt. If you get a chance I'll take that diagram. Thanks man.

David
David C.

mfewtrail

• Administrator
  • Boosted
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 02:23:26 AM »

Matt. Thanks so much for those drawings. It really was exactly what I was looking for. My 89 manual doesn't have them.
It's been raining and I haven't had the time to check it out yet. From memory though I don't recall seeing those cables in the engine compartment.
How bad can this job possibly get? Figured Id' just pick a good splicing point and then go to the junkyard. Should be no problem getting one.

David

You're welcome. Those cables are tucked down behind the master cylinder area a couple of inches and various vacuum hoses, etc. are in the way from what I remember. There is a plug as shown where the wheel speed harness mates to the main harness near the master cylinder, maybe you'll get lucky and that will at least still be there. Then you can just get the portion of the harness that goes to the sensor and simply plug it in.

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »

Still can not get this figured out. Do I need to remove brake components to get at this? Went back to the book under "power head assembly". For removing the booster assembly step 1 is remove secondary dash panel (page 5D-3). Sounds so easy on paper. I could not get that panel out. If I had demolished it by janking I wouldn't be able to get it back on. I guess I wasn't expecting this to be such a challange. Have you had that secondary dash panel off?

David
David C.

mfewtrail

• Administrator
  • Boosted
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 12:30:14 AM »

I've never had that panel out, I'm sure others here have though, maybe they'll chime in.

sleeperred90tgp

• !! FASTEST TGP AWARD !!
  • Boosted
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »

David

David, Don't remember where I read it (maybe the manual)but it said don't splice any of the sensor wires. Replace the cable as an assembly.

Jud
Quickest TGP on this planet.

:cheers:FASTEST TGP AWARD given By TGPforums!:cheers:

Congratulations JUD! Keep an eye on your rear-view mirror for TGPilot

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »

Update. Went to the junkyard and snatched (2) front cables. Left and right. Plugs both end. I am not sure if these are the exact harness. Came out of early 90ish Grand Prix. While in the yard I was amazed at how easy it was to remove the harness. A lot of the vehicles had the secondary dash panel already removed. Some of them had the wires run on the exterior of the panel. Looked stock. No charge for these items.
I still need to get the panel off without destroying it. Maybe there's a plug hiding back there, maybe the wires been cut.
But after seeing all these cars and the way it was done, I should be able to track it down. Preliminary pricing for a front wiring haness was not promising.
I think I'm over the hump here. Thanks for the help guys.

David
David C.

The Master

• Site Sponsor
  • TGP Driver
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »

OK. I can finally close out this thread. Just got the car back from the mechanic. I gave him those diagrams and the harness I got from the junk yard. He said it was a piece of cake. Also had new brake fluid put in. No more ABS light  :icon_biggrin: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet.
Thanks for the help Matt.
David C.

Invasion1

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 08:49:12 PM »

Ahhh at least one PMIII Success Story  ;)

Right Nick??  :icon_razz:

TGP Nick

• Boosted
  • Addicted to Boost
    • fquick.com/brackett
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 10:22:34 PM »

Ahhh at least one PMIII Success Story  ;)

Right Nick??  :icon_razz:
:laugh: That's awesome you got that figured out.  Hopefully I can get mine sorted out and working properly- might need some help...
Nick
1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix- LG5 - 4T60HD
2008 Ford Ranger XLT- 2.3 DOHC I-4 - 5MT
2012 Nissan Altima SR coupe- 3.5 V6 - 6MT

mfewtrail

• Administrator
  • Boosted
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 12:19:19 AM »

Sweet deal. :icon_mrgreen:
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.