TGPForums.com

• December 10, 2018, 11:35:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: Custom Headliner  (Read 3927 times)

NTRCOOL

• Spooling
Custom Headliner
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:48 AM »

I was wanting to post this topic to see what experience anyone has had with headliners? I have an good Idea for basic repairs and have made a few on some cars, but the situation with my black '90 is that the moon-roof is aftermarket "Sky-top" from Missouri. I just loved finding out why the material was sagging when I tore it all out one day on break at work. I could see all the installer did (professional or lack there of :laugh:) took a Razor blade and cut a huge hole to accommodate the MR then stretched out headliner material from the edges of the original headliner base. So needless to say by car has no headliner at the moment. My plan is I brought home some cardboard Slip sheets for  putting on top of skids, and I was going to use ti to make a new headliner from. Once mocked up I was thinking on using fiberglass to reinforce it or also go all out custom sanded and painted. Its a project I would like to get started with soon, and I welcome any thoughts and Ideas I will get some pics up tomorrow of what the inside looks like before I start.
NTRCOOL

1989 RED TGP interior gutted for racing, hard top, added a wing from GTP, MSD ignition, chip from flybynite, K&N air filter.
1990 RED TGP leather intr, moon roof, needs just bout everything
1990 BLACK TGP cloth intr, aftrmrkt moon roof
1977 Chevy Caprice areo back coupe soon to have Cadillac 500cuin.
1980 olds 98 coupe
1993 Ford Festiva GL
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 3" Rough country lift
1987 Buick LeSabere T-Type
1990 Cadillac brougham

cobracmdr

• Boosted
  • Lets turn up the boost and see what shakes loose
Re: Custom Headliner
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »

Sounds like a lot of work.  I would just go get a headliner from a 93 or newer GP.  Those don't fall down.  Than just the opening and headliner and fold it onto the top side and glue it.  Put some plastic trim around it and call it done. 

Much easier than what you are doing.  Or just go get some material from ebay and redo the headliner.  I have done many with the headsup kit and it is super easy.

Just my 2 cents

1989 Turbo Grand Prix - missed very much!!!!
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6 12.01 @117 mph - Inferno Orange Metallic, long tubes, x pipe, Cat back, all 3" pipe 321 SS, vararam intake, LC-1, diy tune
01 Grand Prix GTP - 3.4 pulley, plog, k&n drop in, u-bend & resonator delete, tuned
03 Suzuki SV650N - zx10 shock, racetech springs/emulators, streetfighter

NTRCOOL

• Spooling
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »

Belive me I wish it were that easy due to the fact that the aftermarket moon-roof is wider and shorter than a factory unit. It just makes my job not as easy. Once you see the pics you will understand. I do have the headliner from the 89 I just didn't see a benefit in cutting it apart.
NTRCOOL

1989 RED TGP interior gutted for racing, hard top, added a wing from GTP, MSD ignition, chip from flybynite, K&N air filter.
1980 olds 98 coupe
1993 Ford Festiva GL
1990 Cadillac brougham

cobracmdr

• Boosted
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:10 AM »

maybe get one out of a coupe with no sunroof and use the old fiberglass as template to cut a hole in it.....still sounds easier to me than fabricating a headline :icon_idea:

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6 12.01 @117 mph - Inferno Orange Metallic, long tubes, x pipe, Cat back, all 3" pipe 321 SS, vararam intake, LC-1, diy tune
01 Grand Prix GTP - 3.4 pulley, plog, k&n drop in, u-bend & resonator delete, tuned

NTRCOOL

• Spooling
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »

Here is what I am dealing with the moon roof takes up all the area a non MR would normally fit.
NTRCOOL

1980 olds 98 coupe
1993 Ford Festiva GL
1990 Cadillac brougham

cobracmdr

• Boosted
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »

DO NOT WANT!  Sorry man I see what you are saying.  Good luck.  If it was up to me I would just glue the headline material up there directly and kind of fold it around the sides.  It won't look the best but it sure has to look better than that.  Shit that looks like a challenge.  someone must have really wanted a TGP with a moon roof to do that.  Wow :icon_eek:

NTRCOOL

• Spooling
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:21:38 AM »

That is kinda what they did before so you could imagine how I felt when I first pulled it down and found what was left of the original all cut out with a box cutter. I have a good Idea what I want to do and will hopefully remember to take step by step pics of my progress. I really wish the dam hole was close to a factory unit but its wider and shorter so lucky me.
NTRCOOL

1980 olds 98 coupe
1993 Ford Festiva GL
1990 Cadillac brougham

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.