TGPForums.com

• September 23, 2018, 10:06:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: Combination Glovebox (Locked Out!) Help!  (Read 3288 times)

ST8LINE

Combination Glovebox (Locked Out!) Help!
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »

Hello all,

I have a 1990 TGP that the glovebox, though unlocked, was broken into and busted the latch (repairably so luckly).

The glovebox used to open with "000", but since these clowns busted the box it won't unlatch with "000".

Being these are 20+ year old cars now, does anyone know the tool number GM dealers had to find the correct code so that I can get it to let go?

I'm actually a GM dealer, but my techs need a number to find a tool that small from that long ago!

Thank you for your help!

~ST8LINE

Fred931

• TGP Driver
Re: Combination Glovebox (Locked Out!) Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »

The previous owner of my TGP set his combination, and then forgot what it was or possibly set it wrong. He found the tool, but it's basically a skinny piece of metal that does nothing but scrape off a little bit of the black paint near the dials.

Here's what I did: I tried every combination from 000 to 737. If you need instructions, let me know.  :icon_lol:

Yes, seriously, that "tool" doesn't do zip and you'll have to try all 1000 combinations. You've already done one.

Get to work.

mfewtrail

• Administrator
  • Boosted
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »

I don't have a number for the key/tool that GM used to use, but here's an old quote from someone that had the same problem.

"Well, after some screwing around I've discovered how to crack the combination on my 93 gp/se.First zero the tumblers then,starting from right to left look at the individual tumblers. On the right side of the tumbler you can see some gear teeth pretty close together.Slowly rotate tumbler until you notice a gap in the teeth..stop..that gap is the correct number for that individual tumbler.repeat process for the rest of the tumblers and,open your glovebox to lost treasures! hope this helps someone"
'93 SE, '90 Black/tan TGP, & '90 Red/tan TGP

GPChief

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »

Use a flashlight to see when you have the correct code, I never got the code on any of my TGP - STEs, but they all open now :icon_cool:
2004 GTP -  3.8 Blown - Only modding for MPG.
1997 GTP  - 3.8 Blown - Too many mods to list.
1996 GTP - 3.4 DOHC - Twin to my 1997.
1995 SE - soon to be a 3.8 turbo car.
1990 TSTE x 2 white cloth
1990 TSTE x 1 maroon leather
1990 TGP - 5 speed.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.