TGPForums.com

• December 11, 2017, 11:23:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: Speedometer dead.  (Read 2437 times)

meltboy11

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
Speedometer dead.
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »

So I changed out the vehicle speed sensor thinking it was that and I was wrong. The problem started out sporadic where the speedometer would jump around a lot, then it got to the point where it would just either read 0, properly or jump around, then nothing. I get nothing on the HUD or the dash. I did notice the shaft that comes out of the transmission had a very very small section of the worm gear broken off the bottom. Very small like less than a quarter of an inch, so I don't think it's that. So I have a couple questions.

Am I looking for a broken wire somewhere?
Is it in the gauge cluster?
Will it hurt anything to drive it reading 0? Like will the computer mess up anything? I can guess my speed enough and it's not like I tend to obey speed limits while driving it anyway.
90 TGP ~70k miles 5/15
04 Wrangler 4.0 5 spd
Litchfield, NY

Prospeeder

• Boosted
    • http://cardomain.com/id/prospeeder
Re: Speedometer dead.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »

sure sounds like what happens when the speedo gears come apart, I have replaced the gear on alot of VW and audi stuff thats starts just the same, bounces around like crazy then suddenly no more speedo. Try pulling the entire governor assembly out and make sure the gear on it looks ok.
1990 TGP Chipped RU-1390 K&N
2001 Audi S4 Stage 2
1999 VW Beetle
1997 BMW 740iL

meltboy11

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »

Well I got to working on it again today. I pulled off the sensor and spun the wheels. The gear is spinning just fine. I also tested the sensor and I am getting voltage out of it. I actually replaced the sensor last year too. Tomorrow I am going to pull the instrument panel and check for continuity of the wires from the sensor to the panel. I may just end up running a new pair of wires from the sensor to the instrument panel. Do they go directly to the panel or do they go to something else?
90 TGP ~70k miles 5/15
04 Wrangler 4.0 5 spd
Litchfield, NY

meltboy11

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »

Problem fixed:

Turns out the purple wire coming off the VSS had a break in it somewhere. I tested continuity between the 2 wires from the VSS and ECM and didn't have continuity on the purple. So I just ran a new wire to the ECM and the speedometer works again! So glad it was as simple of a fix as that, just too bad I wasted that money on the VSS last year... :(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:10:04 AM by meltboy11 »
90 TGP ~70k miles 5/15
04 Wrangler 4.0 5 spd
Litchfield, NY

killinprixs

• Boosted
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »

nice  !!!  gotta love an easy fix

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.