TGPForums.com

• December 11, 2017, 11:23:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: sharing my progress/radiator solution  (Read 927 times)

ab8127542

• TGP Forums Beginner
sharing my progress/radiator solution
« on: June 30, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »

Hope the mods agree with my posting location..

Anyway, we're all aware of the radiator curse bestowed upon us.

Here's what I did.

I found locally, and bought, a gold grand prix, '89, 42,xxx miles 2.8 running great. Drove it home, knowing it's nothing but parts.

Salvage is going to be where most of you end up if you attempt this,  but here it goes:

I went on ebay, first and foremost, and bought, after carefully measuring my limited air damn deminsions, a aftermarket intercooler and a separate universal tubing kit (2.5 in).

I then obtained a heavy duty trans. cooler, lines and hoses. Some are rubber lines and some custom flared hard line. The next step was remove the entire stock air intake tubing and replaced it with the k&n cone filter (thx flybynite for the part #) that mounts directly on the turbo.

Remove the old intercooler, radiator, and coolant reservoir. These are specific to our models of course. I then ran my tubing for the intercooler, mounted it and hooked it up. Same with my trans cooler lines. Unfortunately I spent quite some time fabricating mounts (I insist on a professional appearance) but it was worth the work. Next i bought a new radiator for the base grand prix and installed it along with the 2.8 hoses, used the dual fan setup from my gold GP, along with my coolant resourvoir, which sits where our stock air filter housing once did, and then tidied up all my loose ends and double checked my work.

Besides the radiator rarity problem, I moved my intercooler to direct air flow, doubled my radiator size, can use a stock 2.8 radiator which most parts houses have on the shelf, added a cooling fan, added a large transcooler, allowed for better air intake with the k&n filter, and made my resourvoir easier to access and moved it above the radiator.

I must mention I used dozens of mounting brackets and other miscellaneous hardware (bolts, screws, etc..) from my parts car. Its a journey but it's way worth it. I'll try to get pictures soon. Thought I'd share :)
89 TGP
90 Beretta

Heartbeat1991

• TGP Driver
Re: sharing my progress/radiator solution
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »

It would have been cheaper and likely better to just get your stock radiator fixed.

ab8127542

• TGP Forums Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »

Agreed, however the idea is to make the radiator available new, plus it gets that intercooler unblocked from direct air.
89 TGP
90 Beretta

flybynite

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
  • Boost Doctor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:01:01 PM »

This thread is worthless without pictures lol. Post em up!  :peace:
1989 TGP Pace Car
1990 TGP Red/Tan Leather

Heartbeat1991

• TGP Driver
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »

My intake temps run reasonably cool.  It would be interesting to know what the difference is from stock when you're done.

jimmy

• Boosted
    • Cardomain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »

Awesome I like a person with a plan :icon_cool: keep us updated and if possible throw up some pics.

fararre74

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »

I recently bought a 1998 pontiac grand prix gtp daytona 500 pace car.  I want to put the oem emblems back on it that are located on outside of the left and right fenders. Any ideas where i can buy those?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Shifter23

• TGP Driver
  • TGP Collector and preserver to the max!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »

Glad to see someone trying to think outside the box!  OE stuff is great but I do like the idea of coming up with a different option since I ran into having cars that I picked up without a radiator included.
1989 TGP X4 1990 TGP X5 1990 TSTE Maroon X2
1991 GTP 5-speed
1979, 80 Celica Supras
Toronado Trofeos, Reattas, Allantes oh my!
1970 Eldorado
1960 Imperial Crown Sedan
1991 Ford Festiva L (63 H.P. of raging fury being driven with the passion of a Ferrari F1 car!)

GPChief

• Site Sponsor
  • Boosted
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:37 PM »

Just noticed this post.....

Doing the same thing but using a DOHC radiator (1 inch thick) and a FMIC from a Izzuzu cab over truck.  Radiator & fans are plug & play (retune fan on temps)
2004 GTP -  3.8 Blown - Only modding for MPG.
1997 GTP  - 3.8 Blown - Too many mods to list.
1996 GTP - 3.4 DOHC - Twin to my 1997.
1995 SE - soon to be a 3.8 turbo car.
1990 TSTE x 2 white cloth
1990 TSTE x 1 maroon leather
1990 TGP - 5 speed.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.