TGPForums.com

• September 19, 2019, 05:11:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

Author Topic: Steering Column Ignition Lock Removal and Replacement  (Read 10224 times)

Invasion1

Steering Column Ignition Lock Removal and Replacement
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:14:26 PM »

thanks to Brian (pontiac6ksteawd ) for this original write up which i added to and edited.  :icon_cool:

1. Pull steering wheel controls off (if you have them), unplug them and set aside, unplug horn plug, remove retainer ring and nut, remove steering wheel, carefully remove plastic inner ring.

2. Remove turn signal assembly, tilt the steering wheel all the way down for easy access, in the bottom right you will see a ring with a square hole in it, take a screwdriver that the tips fits in the hole, the the rest of the blade doesn't, push in and turn and slowly pull out.

3. There is a spring behind this ring (with square hole) for the tilt steering, in the bottom right you will see a Wire Plug and under that a screw, mine was a torx, others have mentioned a other type of screw, remove screw

4. Pull that plug out 3/4 of a inch with a flathead screwdriver to access that torx screw that holds the lock Assembly in.

5. Carefully pull out ignition key set assembly but don't take out, there will be a small 2 wire plug that has to be unplugged for the little "hey idiot, you left your keys in the ignition" dinger. (see step #4 above)

6. Once unplugged, remove lock and slide in new unit. You might have to play with the new unit to get it to take the screw that holds it in. I never managed to get mine to take all the threads, but its down as far as I could go.

7. Test unit, checking for key dinger, turn back (acc), key forward ignition off, key forward ignition on, key forward start car, return to key forward ignition off, and then key out and off, steering wheel lock (will have to gently put steering wheel on for this).

8. Once all actions are confirmed then you can take the steering wheel back off, and start reassembling everything, but in the reverse order.

Part # for the Lock Assembly for 5-speed (with the little key release button on it) and 2 OEM GM black plastic grip pre-cut Keys is:

AC delco # 26009028

$48 CDN at the dealer
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 05:18:14 PM by Invasion1 »

pontiac6ksteawd

• Boosted
Re: Steering Column Ignition Lock Removal and Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

:thumb: :rocking:
Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history..
01 Pontiac Aztek GT 123k - 04 GMC Envoy XUV SLT V8 99k - 05 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 52k

stockgp

• TGP Driver
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »

figured this would help a bit.  this is the little white plug that the retainer screw is hidden under:

pontiac6ksteawd

• Boosted
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »

Thats the little plug for the HEY IDIOT, YOU LEFT YOU KEYS IN THE IGNITION dinger. On my TGP I used a flat head screwdriver. But on my neighbors lumina, that wouldnt work. I had to take needle nose plyers, and grab it and pull it out, straight up towards you if you are looking at it. I had to put it back in the same way.
Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history..
01 Pontiac Aztek GT 123k - 04 GMC Envoy XUV SLT V8 99k - 05 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 52k

stockgp

• TGP Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »

yep, i thought the bolt in the upper left hand corner there was the right one.  it rtook me a second to figure out it was under that plug

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.